The objectives of PROVIDE are to: 1. Determine if prophylactic once weekly hydroxychloroquine reduces the incidence of conversion from SARS-2-CoVnasopharyngeal swab negative to positive 2. To determine if weekly prophylactic hydroxychloroquine reduced the severity of COVID-19 symptoms 3. To determine the safety of taking weekly prophylactic hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine sulfate 400mg PO BID on day one, then 400mg PO weekly, to be taken with meals for two months total.
Drug: Matched Placebo
- 18 years of age or older to participate.
- Healthcare workers with primary practice in intensive care unit, general internal medicine,
- COVID-19 testing centres, emergency rooms, and nursing homes.
- COVID_19 symptom free at the time of randomization and have a negative diagnostic swab.
- Known COVID-19 positivity defined as: a laboratory confirmed case as defined by the local public health institutes
- Suspected COVID-19 positivity defined as possessing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 infections such as: headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dyspnea, dry cough
- Healthcare workers with pre-existing retinopathy or serious visual problems
- Healthcare workers with known malignancies receiving active chemotherapy or immune modifying medications
- Healthcare workers with known autoimmune disorders
- Healthcare workers with known QT prolongation
- History of ventricular arrhythmias
- Participants at risk of malignant arrythmias ○ At risk defined as: A sudden loss of consciousness with injury; anyone in their immediate family, under the age of 45year, with sudden cardiac death; anyone family history of long QT syndrome - Known sensitivity/allergy to hydroxychloroquine - Healthcare workers that are currently pregnant - Healthcare workers that are already taking chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine - Healthcare workers on colchicine or any other anti-viral medication - Healthcare workers taking a medication that may interact with hydroxychloroquine (see table below - Inability to take oral medications - Inability to provide written consent - Known G6PD deficiency